One of the main traditions we always had growing up was singing around a homemade birthday cake for E V E R Y O N E’ S birthday. In our endlessly growing family there’s practically at-least one birthday a month so we always look forward to mom’s cakes and un-harmonized singing & lots and lots of talking as if we haven’t seen each other in years. What started out as just a birthday cake also turned into graduation cakes, baby shower cakes, “just-because-we-want-cake” cakes. As we grow up, start to leave the nest and start our own families, one thing still remains pretty consistent….every birthday we call Mom and make sure shes making a cake and gather around candles or make-shift candles and enjoy each others company.
Recipe by Jacqueline Chin (Mom)
- 3 sticks of sweet butter (softened)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 cups of Presto Self Rising Cake Flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Allow butter to sit out until soft in a large bowl. (Save butter wrappers for later)
- Preheat oven to 345 degrees.
- Once butter has softened, add 2 cups of sugar and mix with a hand blender.
- Add 1 cup of Presto Self Rising Cake Flour and some of the milk, then mix. Continue until all the Presto and milk is completed.
- Add eggs one at a time and then mix.
- Add vanilla extract and mix one last time.
- Grease the pan with the butter wrappers and add a little bit of Presto to coat the pan.
- Add the batter and hit the pan on the counter to let the air bubbles out.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 345 degrees
- Once cake is finished, stick a knife in the center to make sure no batter comes off on knife.
*Do not open the oven while cake is baking*